To get ready for an upcoming presentation, I came up with a list of things about social media that scare small town governments, or roadblocks that keep them from participating in social networks. I think there are lots of similarities to small businesses.
- We don’t know what to do.
- We don’t want to lose control (of the message, the conversation).
- We might draw negative comments.
- We could run into legal issues.
- Does this create Open Records Issues?
- What will it cost?
- Where will we find the time or the staff to do it?
- This is not seen as serious business. We have important things to do.
- If we spend money to get help, we might face public outcry.
- Will there be any return on this investment?
- How does this fit with what we do now?
- Who will do it, and what are they NOT doing while they are doing it?
- What if we mess up?
- Why? What for?
- People will expect follow up and better performance.
- What if it’s a failure?
- The Mayor, Council, or the Public might not like it, or don’t like it.
- What if we accidentally reveal too much information?
- We don’t know the guidelines or rules.
- We can’t keep up with changing technology.
- What would we say?
- This might create jealousy when one employee gets to do it, but not others.
- We’re too small.
What are the Answers?
If you’ve tried to help people with these issues, what answers have you found effective? Are there some techniques that help get past some of these internal barriers?
I’ll do a follow up with some of the best solutions. I’ll be speaking on this topic twice in the coming months, so I’ve been thinking about it quite a bit!
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021