Barry Moltz came to my attention with Bounce!, his book on failure. His latest book is BAM! Delivering Customer Service in a Self-Service World, with co-author Mary Jane Grinstead. (Barry and I are already working on his next book, and my first, on rural entrepreneurs.) Barry gave me a copy of BAM!, and it is terrific.
Here’s why you want to read it. What you think you know about customer service is at least partly wrong. Maybe worse than the parts you have wrong, are the parts of your thinking that are incomplete. But Barry and Mary Jane are going to help you see customer service in a new way. They help you think all the way through ideas like “good customer service is common sense” and where they break down.
Every customer is different and how they feel about your company, your product and their purchase, varies enormously based on a whole raft of factors you can control and some you can’t.
At the book’s website, you can read the BAM!-good Customer Service Manifesto, learn about BAM blockers, and even read through all the myths. And you should. But you should also get a copy of the book, because until you read the whole thing, you won’t get it.
Barry handed out buttons that say, “Just give me good customer service and nobody gets hurt.” Who hasn’t felt that way? If you put these ideas into practice in your business, you’re going to satisfy more customers. That means more profits. And that is exactly why Barry says you want to give good customer service: it helps your bottom line.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020