Two events surprised me around professional networking site LinkedIn recently.
First, a long time friend who shuns all online social interaction, joined LinkedIn and started connecting. He told me that he knew it was important if or when he looked for a new job. I was astounded that LinkedIn had enough potential benefit to draw him online.
Second, I found out my local CareerTech blocks students (high school age and adults) from accessing all social networks, including LinkedIn. Instead of blocking them, I think it should be a requirement for students to create their profile on LinkedIn. And I’d really like to see students learn social networking skills, rather than be locked out.
Now, believe it or not, I do have something more to go with this. Back in May, Lewis Howes gave me a copy of the book LinkedWorking that he co-authored with Frank Agin. It gives you a whole bunch of techniques to make LinkedIn work.
I liked the approach they took. Each section starts with a technique drawn from in-person networking, then applies it to LinkedIn, and then gives a success story of someone using that technique. No one person could possibly be the success story for all the techniques, which I think is an important lesson. Don’t try to do everything this book outlines. Pick the most promising strategies and pursue them strongly.
It’s a short book, a quick read. And if it stimulates you to adopt a new technique that improves your networking, then it’s worth it.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020