Two events surprised me around professional networking site LinkedIn recently.
First, a long time friend who shuns all online social interaction, joined LinkedIn and started connecting. He told me that he knew it was important if or when he looked for a new job. I was astounded that LinkedIn had enough potential benefit to draw him online.
Second, I found out my local CareerTech blocks students (high school age and adults) from accessing all social networks, including LinkedIn. Instead of blocking them, I think it should be a requirement for students to create their profile on LinkedIn. And I’d really like to see students learn social networking skills, rather than be locked out.
Now, believe it or not, I do have something more to go with this. Back in May, Lewis Howes gave me a copy of the book LinkedWorking that he co-authored with Frank Agin. It gives you a whole bunch of techniques to make LinkedIn work.
I liked the approach they took. Each section starts with a technique drawn from in-person networking, then applies it to LinkedIn, and then gives a success story of someone using that technique. No one person could possibly be the success story for all the techniques, which I think is an important lesson. Don’t try to do everything this book outlines. Pick the most promising strategies and pursue them strongly.
It’s a short book, a quick read. And if it stimulates you to adopt a new technique that improves your networking, then it’s worth it.
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022