Two new shop local ideas hit me this week.
1. Can you get your city utility on board? The City of Alva added this shop local message to their utility bills:
Support your local merchants – Shop Alva for the Holidays
Some cities and towns mail out larger bills in envelopes. They might even let you add a little message or flyer in the same envelope.
2. Ponca City, Oklahoma, has Santa Bucks. Meredith Willis told me about it on Twitter:
PCY has a Santa Bucks program where local stores give out tickets based on your purchases & a drawing is held with $ prizes. @meredithwillis
I know it’s working, because that same day I ran into a Ponca City resident, and she had a billfold stuffed with Santa Bucks tickets. She was eagerly awaiting that $5000 prize drawing!
What innovative Shop Local ideas have you seen?
Version 2.0 of our shop local guide is ready! See it at Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns.
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020