The hope is that with a map full of suggestions, visitors are more likely to string together several destinations. I don’t know if there are any scientific studies to show their results, but I’ll bet we can enhance them with some interactive online tools.
The most obvious interactive tool is a mashup map online. Here’s the online map for Agritourism. Now, a smaller region on a budget probably can’t invest in this kind of interface, though it is lovely! What can you do with little or no budget? Here are three suggestions:
- Take your digital camera and shoot simple, clear one minute videos of attractions. Use TubeMogul to post them to a multitude of sharing sites.
- Build Facebook Fan Page or Ning community, post your info, and let your travelers share their own photos and stories.
- Set up a Flickr Group for photos from your trail.
- Be sure to link all of these to your main website and to share the links on your map.
Now, how about some accessories? The Great Plains Trail is a wildlife trail, and the map group also created some collector cards featuring different birds. How could we build an online component to these neat little cards?
- Add a website address. Tell more about the card, and where to get more.
- Give GPS coordinates of the attractions, in this case, driving loops on the trail.
- Make a forum post on your Facebook Page or Ning community for people to comment and register their cards. Encourage them to share their travel story.
As always, you have the best ideas. How would you add online interaction to paper maps? What other ideas do you have?
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022