The hope is that with a map full of suggestions, visitors are more likely to string together several destinations. I don’t know if there are any scientific studies to show their results, but I’ll bet we can enhance them with some interactive online tools.
The most obvious interactive tool is a mashup map online. Here’s the online map for Agritourism. Now, a smaller region on a budget probably can’t invest in this kind of interface, though it is lovely! What can you do with little or no budget? Here are three suggestions:
- Take your digital camera and shoot simple, clear one minute videos of attractions. Use TubeMogul to post them to a multitude of sharing sites.
- Build Facebook Fan Page or Ning community, post your info, and let your travelers share their own photos and stories.
- Set up a Flickr Group for photos from your trail.
- Be sure to link all of these to your main website and to share the links on your map.
Now, how about some accessories? The Great Plains Trail is a wildlife trail, and the map group also created some collector cards featuring different birds. How could we build an online component to these neat little cards?
- Add a website address. Tell more about the card, and where to get more.
- Give GPS coordinates of the attractions, in this case, driving loops on the trail.
- Make a forum post on your Facebook Page or Ning community for people to comment and register their cards. Encourage them to share their travel story.
As always, you have the best ideas. How would you add online interaction to paper maps? What other ideas do you have?
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020