More rural and small town folks are getting on Twitter. As I get to speak to more and more groups about it, I think we need a special guide to link you up with some friendly faces on Twitter and some resources to help you get started. Like a bus full of friends to show you around.
First off, feel free to follow me. I’m @BeckyMcCray. More friendly small town people on Twitter include:
- @JackSchultz / Jack Schultz, author of BoomtownUSA
- @CodyKS / Cody Heitschmidt, Hutchinson, KS
- @ThatTallDude / Shawn Kirsch, Elgin, ND
- @DebWorks / Deb Brown, Iowa
- @OkeiJ / Jeanne Cole, Waynoka, OK
- @SheilaS / Sheila Scarborough, Round Rock, TX
- @LittleTownBlues / Shannon Ehlers, Soldier, Iowa
- @fiberartisan / Mary McRae, Bethlehem, NH
- @WifeLA, Sooke, BC, Canada
- @Smallbonesshop / J. Weeks, Northumberland Cty, Ontario, Canada
- @theSilverBarn / Cynthia Sutton, Columbus, TX, a rural retailer
- @danmcq13 / Dan McCue, Grinnell, IA
- @deswalsh / Des Walsh, Gold Coast, Australia
- @blissmonger / Deb Schanilec, grew up in a small town, now in Detroit
- @jimdraze / Jim Draze, Kaleva, Michigan, is new to Twitter, but willing to help
- @reallifesarah / Sarah , Boone, NC
- @chilliefalls / Chillie Falls, Forest, VA, funnel cake seller
- @stargardener, rural central Oklahoma
- @TraciKnoppe / Traci Knoppe, Sullivan, MO
- @smalltownmarket / Tom Egelhoff, Montana, small town marketing expert
- Think you should be here? I didn’t want to presume to add you without asking. So just email me or leave a comment, and I’ll add your name. :)
Once you follow some of these folks, be sure to say hello to them. Do spell the username right, or they won’t see it! So to connect with @OkieJ, you might tweet this:
@okiej Hi! Found you in the small town Twitter list.
Get the idea? Great!
Here are some more rural resources:
- @RuralTech / John Eich, WI Office of Rural Health. Covers rural health IT, and more.
- @ARSLibraries / ARSL, Association for Rural and Small Libraries
- @BackRoadsNews, Kansas newspaper
- @CLACourtney / Courtney Yuskis, Country Living Association
- @HandMadeAmerica / Megan Williams, Hand Made America
- @MarciPenner / Marci Penner and @WenDeeLaPlant / WenDee LaPlant, Kansas Sampler Foundation
- @MainStOrrville / Darri Wasniewski, Main Street, Orrville, OH
- @OurPatch / Simon van Wyk, focused on regional and rural towns in Australia
- @RuralBroadband / weneedbroadband.com, Longmont, Colorado. Advocating for rural broadband in the US.
Beginning guides to Twitter:
- How to Start Using Twitter – from my friend @PurpleCar / Christine Cavalier, a great starter post
- Social Media Starter Kit: Twitter – my second favorite starter post
- What I know about Twitter – key insights into enjoying Twitter
- Twitter for absolute beginners – several good suggestions to getting started
- Guide to Twitter – The Ultimate Guide for Everything Twitter – Read this one later, after you’re started.
My top tips:
- Fill in your profile and add your photo. I want to know you’re a real person.
- Use Twellow.com to find folks in your industry or your region. It’s like yellow pages for Twitter.
- Share great links and favorite resources. Those are always interesting.
- Let your personality show. We’d love to get to know you a bit better.
- Give it some time. You might not connect with Twitter right away; most people don’t. So give it some time as you get used to using it.
Suggestions? Ideas? People I left out? I did this off the top of my head, so I know there will be. Please, leave them in the comments!
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021