How do you tell if a blog is right for your small business? What if you’ve heard of blogs, but aren’t sure what it means? For today’s Small Biz 100, we’re going to go over some small business blog basics.
First, what is a blog? It’s a special type of website, one that is designed to be regularly updated. Posting an update is about the same as writing an email. This site is a blog, and I also use one for my small business, Allen’s Retail Liquors. If you haven’t set up a website before, do get some help at least with the setup.
Now to the big question, should you blog for your small business? Here is one great way to tell. Write down every basic question a customer asks you. Start today, and do this for two weeks. If you end up with a long list of questions you can answer, then you have enough material to start a blog. If you don’t, then a blog may not work as well for.
But what if my customers aren’t online?
Of course, you’d love to have your blog draw more local customers in your front door, or bring you more signed contracts. However, that might not work if you are in a small town with few local people online. Drawing customers isn’t the only purpose to blogging.
Side benefits from blogging
- An answer resource for customers.
The next time a customer asks you a basic question, you can encourage them to read the answer online.
- An answer resource you can publish in many forms.
Once you’ve written those answers, you can:
- print them out as handouts
- compile a short booklet
- put them on a CD as PDF files
- make a speech you deliver to educate potential customers.
The one BIG secret to make it work:
Focus on what customers want to know, not what you want to tell them about your business.
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at email@example.com. This is a community project!
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022