Angela Maiers was kind enough to share a copy of Classroom Habitudes with me. It’s her book on how to teach 21st Century learning habits and attitudes, exactly as described on the cover.
So, why is a small business site reviewing a book that, on first glance, appears to be for teachers?
- Isn’t part of your business to help your customers, employees, and prospects to learn?
- Could you benefit from improving your own ability to learn?
- Didn’t you know I come from a long line of teachers? (I had to throw that in.)
It is an excellent book to help you focus your own personal growth, or to help you as a teacher, educator, or instructor.
The focus is not on developing particular skills. It is on gaining the habits and attitudes that carry you through to learn any new skill. What are the Habitudes?
- Perseverance (my personal fave)
- Self Awareness
If you spent each month focusing on one of those habitudes, imagine how much you would grow as an effective small business person in half a year. You might grow into being a whole different person.
I said that I come from a long line of teachers, but I don’t hold an educational degree or certificate of any kind. I only teach workshops, short classes, things like that. But I truly enjoyed this book. Her classroom dialogues, once I got past the “boys and girls” intro, were excellent at leading my thinking about these subjects. There is plenty of relevance for life-long learners, as well as classroom teachers.
Thank you, Angela, for sharing your Habitudes with me.
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020