If one book could revolutionize your small business, it’s Work The System, by Sam Carpenter.
(Want a quick preview? Read the guest post Carpenter shared with us, Five Common Mistakes People Make When Starting Up a Small Business and How to Steer Clear of Them.)
In the book, Carpenter walks you through his method of turning your whole business into a system, and working that system. If you have employees, then it may be obvious to you that you need to systematize various processes to make them work without you there. If you are the only person in the business, you may not have realized that systematizing is the first step to breaking free of being “just you.”
It’s not exciting, and Carpenter takes his time, repeats himself, and generally tries to force his ideas into your head and into your gut. And, realistically, that’s a good plan. Because the natural pattern will be to read this book, nod a lot, and then continue to screw things up. It’s not that you can’t figure out on your own everything he tells you. It’s that you will never take time to figure it out and put it into a system without help.
So if you read the book, and actually work the system, you will change your business.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022