Every local business website needs to cover some basic information, but too often, we miss something basic.
I just searched for some local businesses, and found many that were missing essential info. It’s easy to do, because you’re too close. You think everyone will know, you assume they can figure it out. But it doesn’t work that way. Lots of people don’t know. Maybe they found you through search, or they recently moved to town, or they just never knew about you before.
So here’s the checklist of basic info every small town business ought to include on their website.
- Get in contact:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Mailing address
- City and state
- Street address
- Map of your location, or link to an online map
- Come on in:
- Business hours
- Bonus: picture of your business from the street
- Buy something:
- Lines of business
- Specific brand names
Take time to check your site. You might be surprised at what’s missing.
And don’t bury these essentials in small type, or hard to find locations. Make them big, bold, obvious, and maybe even repeat them.
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or in between. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at email@example.com. This is a community project!
Photo by Becky McCray.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020