Oklahoma State Senator Jay Paul Gumm writes a regular column and chose to talk about rural competitiveness and infrastructure recently. Infrastructure can mean lots of things. Gumm talks specifically about rural airports.
These airports are critical gateways to mid-size communities. They are where CEOs land to look for business relocation or expansion sites. The airports are business centers for entrepreneurs who provide services to the aviation industry….
A small airplane manufacturer has relocated its production and office operations from San Diego, Calif., to the Blackwell-Tonkawa Regional Airport. This one relocation will generate 40 jobs and millions of dollars of economic impact.
Alva benefited from the development of Vantage Plane Plastics (airplane interior parts manufacturer) out of a locally-grown business, through its acquisition by a California company, and its recent expansions.
Your own business may rely on the local airport more than you think.
Our local bank had to call for service of a specialized piece of equipment. The service people came in a small jet, actually a bit too big for Alva’s airport. They had to land an hour away and drive in.
The Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma Jari Askins will go anywhere for any event (almost). But you have to have an airport of a certain minimum size for her plane to land. So if want her to come celebrate your major expansion, be sure you’ve supported your local airport.
Cafe Bahnhof in Waynoka, Oklahoma, receives visitors each week who have flown in, rather than driven, just to enjoy Dieter Dorner’s hospitality and Bavarian style food. He even lists fly-in information on his website. You can bet he supports his local airport.
How about you? Do you rely on your local airport? How are you supporting it?
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020