Oklahoma State Senator Jay Paul Gumm writes a regular column and chose to talk about rural competitiveness and infrastructure recently. Infrastructure can mean lots of things. Gumm talks specifically about rural airports.
These airports are critical gateways to mid-size communities. They are where CEOs land to look for business relocation or expansion sites. The airports are business centers for entrepreneurs who provide services to the aviation industry….
A small airplane manufacturer has relocated its production and office operations from San Diego, Calif., to the Blackwell-Tonkawa Regional Airport. This one relocation will generate 40 jobs and millions of dollars of economic impact.
Alva benefited from the development of Vantage Plane Plastics (airplane interior parts manufacturer) out of a locally-grown business, through its acquisition by a California company, and its recent expansions.
Your own business may rely on the local airport more than you think.
Our local bank had to call for service of a specialized piece of equipment. The service people came in a small jet, actually a bit too big for Alva’s airport. They had to land an hour away and drive in.
The Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma Jari Askins will go anywhere for any event (almost). But you have to have an airport of a certain minimum size for her plane to land. So if want her to come celebrate your major expansion, be sure you’ve supported your local airport.
Cafe Bahnhof in Waynoka, Oklahoma, receives visitors each week who have flown in, rather than driven, just to enjoy Dieter Dorner’s hospitality and Bavarian style food. He even lists fly-in information on his website. You can bet he supports his local airport.
How about you? Do you rely on your local airport? How are you supporting it?
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022