Gmail has introduced the ability to send text messages straight from Chat.
First, you need to turn on this feature. Go to Settings, (text link at top right of screen) then Labs. Scroll way down the list to find “Text Messaging (SMS) in Chat” and click Enable next to it. Scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes.
Once you have text messaging turned on, here’s how to send one.
1. Open a Chat with the person you want to text.
You do this by clicking on their name in the Chat list. That will open a chat window.
2. Switch to text messaging.
Click Options in the little Chat window. Click on Send SMS. If you don’t have a cell number saved for this contact, it will open a window to ask for the cell phone number. Enter their cell number and click Save.
3. Type your text message, and press enter.
Gmail reminds you that some carriers charge for each message received.
What is this good for?
It’s just another tool in your communication tool box.
Businesses with some people in the field, some people in the office. Send messages direct from the office without switching to your cell phone. Examples: plumbers sending updated service info, or real estate agents sending schedule changes.
People who hate pecking out text messages. Or people who just hate cell phones.
This only works with US phones on major carriers. My Pioneer Cellular phone, for example, is not supported. So for small town folks, this could be an issue.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021