Looking back at my life, though, I believe my success has come because of my failures – not despite them. I’ve got a pretty colorful history and made many bad decisions, but it wasn’t until about 5 years ago that I stopped concentrating and trying to improve what I was bad at and started to figure out what I was great at. I began surrounding myself with folks who judged me for and helped me fine-tune my skills rather than criticize my weaknesses.
Douglas Karr, The Marketing Technology Blog, Sharing My Failures (and Successes?)
We regularly talk about success and failure because they are both realities of entrepreneurship. Thanks to Phil Gerbyshak for finding and sharing this example. If you find great quotes or stories of failure, we’d love to hear them.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison
He’s said volumes about success.
Becky McCray says
Thanks, farmnwife. Edison was a master of failure and success.
Douglas Karr says
Thanks so much for posting this! I really am one of those guys that no one would have bet on after high school. :)
Becky McCray says
Thanks for coming by, Douglas. And thanks for sharing your failures openly. It makes a difference.