Are you afraid of buzz? What does that cost you?
A local small business owner asked me to not share photos of her renovated historic building until after she has a grand opening. I was surprised. I mentioned that her renovation had been featured in a newspaper article, with photos! She said again, “don’t show them around,” so I decided to hold them.
[The photos were on Flickr. I’ve now marked all the interior shots as private, until I hear about her grand opening. I left the street view public, since anyone can drive by and see it. That’s the photo to the right.]
After she left, I kept thinking about how much you and I talk here about building buzz, sharing freely, and reaching out. I really thought my sharing was to her benefit.
So I asked you on Twitter, “How is my sharing going to hurt her? Or is buzz bad?”
That drew four immediate replies:
alizasherman: On flip side, I’ve got a biz owner who’ll share photos as they build a small kitty litter factory, step by step, to build buzz.
tawnypress: Why not build anticipation? All buzz is good buzz, just look at Hollywood, even bad news flips into good. :)
CoryOBrien: Maybe they have other plans? I can’t see why else they’d want you not to.
LisaVanAllen: Are they afraid of too much publicity? Not being able to handle the mob that shows up?? :0)
I don’t know how you overcome the basic reaction of hiding rather than sharing. CoryOBrien suggested showing the biz owner examples of other business that have shared pre-release building photos. That could work! Do you have ideas?
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020