Have you taken time to really figure out your business? Most of us tend to spend our time working in our business, rolling with what is thrown at us. But you can radically improve your business by spending time working on it. The first step is to really define the business you are building.
Let’s take a cue from the traditional business plan by writing a business summary.
1. Describe your basic business.
- Explain your products and services.
- What makes you unique?
2. Identify the market(s).
- Describe the market for each revenue stream.
- How will you reach that market?
3. Set your financial strategy.
- Explain your pricing structure.
- What are your financial goals?
If you’ll actually put in the effort to write this out, you’ll be a huge step ahead of most small business startups. Really. It helps to focus your attention on areas you might be ignoring. Zane Safrit put it this way: What is the question you aren’t asking yourself?
Next time, we’ll talk about converting those financial goals into real world activities.
[Photo of my desk, from my Flickr.]
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or in between. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a community project!
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022