Have you taken time to really figure out your business? Most of us tend to spend our time working in our business, rolling with what is thrown at us. But you can radically improve your business by spending time working on it. The first step is to really define the business you are building.
Let’s take a cue from the traditional business plan by writing a business summary.
1. Describe your basic business.
- Explain your products and services.
- What makes you unique?
2. Identify the market(s).
- Describe the market for each revenue stream.
- How will you reach that market?
3. Set your financial strategy.
- Explain your pricing structure.
- What are your financial goals?
If you’ll actually put in the effort to write this out, you’ll be a huge step ahead of most small business startups. Really. It helps to focus your attention on areas you might be ignoring. Zane Safrit put it this way: What is the question you aren’t asking yourself?
Next time, we’ll talk about converting those financial goals into real world activities.
[Photo of my desk, from my Flickr.]
This article is part of the Small Biz 100, a series of 100 practical hands-on posts for small business people and solo entrepreneurs, whether in a small town, the big city, or in between. If you have questions you’d like us to address in this series, leave a comment or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a community project!
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020