Another rural advantage, from reader Ellen Davis:
Don’t know if you agree, but I find the best thing about being in a small town is the trust that people have for one another. Here’s a short story to illustrate.. after working in the tech support field in Denver for 10 years, fighting the traffic, noise and smog, I moved to Cheyenne in 2006. This past April, I took the entrepreneurial plunge and started my own computer support business. Last week, I won a contract with the Wyoming State Bar to provide their network and computer support. Now, understand that this organization serves the entire state of Wyoming. They gave me the keys to their building and sole custody of all their computers, on basically just a signed piece of paper and a handshake. I LOVE that people here do business like that.. it feels so good to be trusted and to trust them. I am determined to do a stellar job for them.
I’m glad to find your website, and see that you and your contributors talk about customers as people instead of marketing targets. As was mentioned in one of Jon’s blog post, I truly believe that love and care are as important in business relationships as they are in personal connections. Caring about and connecting with people really does make a difference in the world, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Kudos to you all.
We’re collecting rural and small town advantages, here. What would you add?
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021