Another rural advantage, from reader Ellen Davis:
Don’t know if you agree, but I find the best thing about being in a small town is the trust that people have for one another. Here’s a short story to illustrate.. after working in the tech support field in Denver for 10 years, fighting the traffic, noise and smog, I moved to Cheyenne in 2006. This past April, I took the entrepreneurial plunge and started my own computer support business. Last week, I won a contract with the Wyoming State Bar to provide their network and computer support. Now, understand that this organization serves the entire state of Wyoming. They gave me the keys to their building and sole custody of all their computers, on basically just a signed piece of paper and a handshake. I LOVE that people here do business like that.. it feels so good to be trusted and to trust them. I am determined to do a stellar job for them.
I’m glad to find your website, and see that you and your contributors talk about customers as people instead of marketing targets. As was mentioned in one of Jon’s blog post, I truly believe that love and care are as important in business relationships as they are in personal connections. Caring about and connecting with people really does make a difference in the world, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Kudos to you all.
We’re collecting rural and small town advantages, here. What would you add?
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022