Just (adverb): merely, only.
Usage: a way to acknowledge insignificance.
Example: I’m just a small business owner. I’ve just got one employee. It’s just a small town.
We all use it. We use it all the time.
We are talking at a family reunion and rich uncle Dave from New York asks us if we have any plans for the future. We shuffle our feet and say, “No, I guess I’m just going to …”
We are reading a terrific explanation of marketing our business, and it sounds wonderful. But then we look at our workspace in the back bedroom and think, “I just don’t…”
I hear it. I hear it all the time.
And I want to shake someone.
Next time you are feeling insignificant about where you live or where your business is or how much experience or education you have, try an experiment:
Before you respond to whoever is asking the question, think about the one employee you do have who no one else would take a chance on. Think of the four customers you do have who think that your service is amazing because you remembered their birthdays. Think of the time you looked around and realized how much you love seeing a fawn in the backyard. Think about the time that you were felt so integrated into your community that when that house caught on fire you wept and then ran to help.
Think about all that and then say, “I have the privilege to be…”
If the other person is listening at all, they will stop and think, “I wish I cared that much.”
Jon Swanson is your customer, presenting every day perspectives in a new way. He was a regular contributor to the Great Big Small Business Show podcast, as the Entrepreneurial Chicken. Jon is the author of the best small business post ever.
- When the planes are coming in to land - July 18, 2016
- Are you mortgaging your time? - April 24, 2013
- A customer service story - September 12, 2012
- What to do when a blog post is suddenly popular - May 2, 2012
- Review: The official guide to QuickBooks 2012 - January 23, 2012
- Two discussion questions for you - December 8, 2011
- From scrap metal to skilled crafts - November 23, 2011
- How a small business can be huge - November 16, 2011
- Banding together - October 12, 2011
- Show the love - October 1, 2011