Need ammo for your shop local campaign? Use this fact: local merchants are worth three times as much to your local economy as the chain stores.
From Civic Economics:
The analysis demonstrated that locally owned merchants generate more than three times the local economic activity of their competitor chain stores on equal revenue.
We know why. The local merchants spend much more of their money locally. The chains ship profits out of town. The local merchants are more involved in the community. The chains feel no ownership in your town, and their local managers are limited by corporate policies.
Thought you might be able to use that in your local Chamber of Commerce shop local campaign.
For a lot more ideas, stats, and how-tos, check out our Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns ebook.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020