Our long time Friend Zane Safrit is writing about small business in a new location. His insights on health care, failure, success, word of mouth marketing, and more are now at Zane Safrit. Update your feed reader!
New friend G.L. Hoffman has a terrific article on small towns and the loss of design, in Design and the WalMarting of America.
Used to be, the local small town retailer, whether a clothing store, gift shop, furniture store, or whatever, was owned by someone with real passion for their store. They lived, breathed and slept clothes, gifts or furniture. They knew their stuff.
What they had was DESIGN. Sure, more of their stuff was made in America, but the distinguishing ingredient was the inherent design and quality sense of the store owner. That is what you buying. You went to the gift shop and got a wedding gift, chances were very good, no matter the price point, that it was of good quality and had been designed well. If it wasn’t, the passionate store owner would not inventory it. So, all of us got used to having quality items naturally in our personal and work spaces.
Read the whole article at What Would Dad Say.
Third, a real world friend now working up to being a techie Laurie Reyes has made her first blog adventure. She’d love to have some comments and tips!
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020