When you are in a small town, how do you build relationships and beat that feeling of isolation? I asked that question at SXSW, and here are some suggestions from other attendees.
If you blog or podcast, talk about local events. It’s a way to hopefully connect with other local folks interested in technology or your niche.
Have lunch together, online
Several people mentioned having lunch with a distant friend via Skype. Grab a brown bag, and enjoy some time together.
Hold meetings with video
Use any one of the online meeting tools, like Operator 11, BlogTV or ooVoo to get people together. I’m thinking of trying to start this one within Oklahoma. Let’s see, I know a techie guy in Elk City with a web cam, so there’s one …
Make your town the center of the universe
Why not make your town the location for a major gathering in your field? Plenty of exciting events happen in out of the way places. All it takes is work.
It goes without saying
Or at least it does at SXSW, that Twitter, Facebook, blogging, etc., are all terrific tools for keeping in touch.
What do you recommend? How do you beat isolation from your small town or rural area?
[Photo: Creative Economies roundtable – the closest thing to a rural discussion as can be found at SXSW.]
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020