Self Replicating Awesomeness – The Marketing of No Marketing was an odd title for a panel, but it was an interesting discussion. Here are the thoughts of six amazing marketers talking about a different way of marketing.
“Either you understand that you don’t exist without said customers, or you don’t and it’s in your DNA. No blog or bling or swag will change that.”
“The more I give away, the more I get.”
“They are not your community.”
“I didn’t really think of the people drinking the wine as ‘the Stormhoek Community.’ They were just cool people having fun with the wine.”
Larger companies are starting to listen to customers who complain. Why aren’t you also listening to the ones who love you? Talk and listen, especially as a small company, so that it is ingrained as you grow.
What Doc Searls called the “Because Effect.” We are giving it away because that’s helping us make more somewhere else.
Marketing is moving away from our message (i.e. Come Fly the Friendly Skies) to being about you. (i.e. You’re cool. Here’s some wine.)
Follow up and tell the stories of the people you interact with. The people who received Stormhoek Wine were asked to send back pics of their wine parties. Those pics were shared on Flickr.
If your product is too expensive or tough to give away demos or samples, then think of creating social objects that are cool/relevant/free and give them away.
The iProspect CEO Frederick Markini said, “The brands with the best storytellers win.”
Nothing replaces listening.
Read Heuer’s own summary at The Golden Rules of Marketing.
- Chris Heuer Partner, The Conversation Group
- Tara Hunt Co-Founder, Citizen Agency
- Jeremiah Owyang Forrester
- Deborah Schultz Founder/Chief Catalyst, deborahschultz.com
- David Parmet Owner, Marketing Begins At Home LLC
- Hugh MacLeod Grand Pooh-Bah, gapingvoid.com
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020