Self Replicating Awesomeness – The Marketing of No Marketing was an odd title for a panel, but it was an interesting discussion. Here are the thoughts of six amazing marketers talking about a different way of marketing.
“Either you understand that you don’t exist without said customers, or you don’t and it’s in your DNA. No blog or bling or swag will change that.”
“The more I give away, the more I get.”
“They are not your community.”
“I didn’t really think of the people drinking the wine as ‘the Stormhoek Community.’ They were just cool people having fun with the wine.”
Larger companies are starting to listen to customers who complain. Why aren’t you also listening to the ones who love you? Talk and listen, especially as a small company, so that it is ingrained as you grow.
What Doc Searls called the “Because Effect.” We are giving it away because that’s helping us make more somewhere else.
Marketing is moving away from our message (i.e. Come Fly the Friendly Skies) to being about you. (i.e. You’re cool. Here’s some wine.)
Follow up and tell the stories of the people you interact with. The people who received Stormhoek Wine were asked to send back pics of their wine parties. Those pics were shared on Flickr.
If your product is too expensive or tough to give away demos or samples, then think of creating social objects that are cool/relevant/free and give them away.
The iProspect CEO Frederick Markini said, “The brands with the best storytellers win.”
Nothing replaces listening.
Read Heuer’s own summary at The Golden Rules of Marketing.
- Chris Heuer Partner, The Conversation Group
- Tara Hunt Co-Founder, Citizen Agency
- Jeremiah Owyang Forrester
- Deborah Schultz Founder/Chief Catalyst, deborahschultz.com
- David Parmet Owner, Marketing Begins At Home LLC
- Hugh MacLeod Grand Pooh-Bah, gapingvoid.com
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021