Editor’s Note: Tuyen Ho emailed this comment to me. Sounds like a very useful tool for small business people. I’d love to get feedback from anyone who tries it.
I read your 1/18 blog post re: Gene Marks “can’t make these technologies work” piece. You mentioned a few mobile services like Jott. I’d like to tell you about Dial Directions (www.dialdirections.com).
DIR-ECT-IONS is the first nationwide free phone service for ‘directions assistance’. Any cell phone user can dial D-I-R- E-C-T-I-O-N-S (347-328-4667); tell the voice-activated service their starting address and destination (address, business, or local event); and instantly receive a driving directions by text message. The service is free and works on all cell phones – no web plan or GPS needed. Only your carrier charges apply.
Here’s a demo of the service: http://www.dialdirections.com
Small business owners have shared wonderful stories about how they use Dial Directions:
- Owners tell their new customers to use it to get point-to-point directions to the owner’s store/business, especially when someone rings them up and wants specific directions from a particular address (e.g. one UHaul franchise asked us for our free stickers and postcards about Dial Directions for his customers who are moving into a new neighborhood and need navigation assistance when they’re on the go)
- Wedding and other social event planners turn their event into a destination by plugging in the event’s name and address at our website. After that, the organizers simply tell attendees to dial D-I-R-E-C-T-I-O-N-S, ask for the event name and provide any starting address.
- Sales, delivery and contractors without access to a computer or GPS use just call D-I-R-E-C-T-I-O-N-S from their cell phones for navigation assistance
- Real estate agents tell their homebuyers to use D-I-R-E-C-T-I-O-N-S to help see multiple open houses without the need for pre-printing maps
Hope this is useful to you and your readers.
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021