Chris Brogan wrote a great post about promoting your media to the online world. That made me think about increasing your audience by reaching out to new people.
Jon Swanson and I decided to collaborate on a follow up, how to promote your online 2.0 media to the offline 0.0 world.
- Talk about it. Tell people what you are working on. Ask for their opinion.
- Invite offline friends and experts to co-author or contribute.
- Mention your media project in your regular printed materials.
- Print business cards specifically for your blog or podcast. (credit: Vaspers)
- Put it in your bio and resume.
- Teach a class on how to create new media.
- Reprint your writings in offline venues: newspapers, newsletters, journals.
- On your regular business card include the data for your Flickr and blog and LinkedIn and…
- Talk about it all the time.
- Use online friends as references for 0.0 jobs.
- Collect your posts and print as a book.*
- Email your posts from reader to people who only check email.
- Have low expectations so you are more subtle.
- Talk about online friends as real friends.
- Get family members involved.
*In fact, compilations of all kinds of media would make great handouts. Booklets, audios, workbooks, PDFs, etc.
What other ideas do you have for reaching new people?
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020