Common mistakes can kill your small business, but most of them can be easily corrected or avoided.
Today’s Bad Example: Breaking your promises to customers
I asked for some examples of small biz mistakes on Twitter, and you answered! This time, let’s combine two real-world examples of mistakes:
BarbaraKB Not “call me back” in the 24 hours that they promised. If it will be 48 hours, then just say that. ;-)
jnswanson smilingly give great directions to another location… but with the wrong highway number.
In both cases, the person representing the company broke a promise to a customer by providing bad information.
Right now you are probably thinking that you don’t do this, that you give only good information, and that you don’t break promises. Think again. During your every day conversations with customers, you will inevitably make a mistake, or circumstances will change and keep you from doing what you promised. It will happen, and it probably happens more than you think.
This is squarely under the customer service heading. I can’t claim a magic knowledge of your business and your customers, so I recommend a few favorite sites that consistently share good advice on serving your customers.
Once again, Zane will probably come up with some better advice than I did on this one!
Together, we are going to try to help each other out of these most common, deadly mistakes. You can use real world examples, real small businesses. Write it up, take a picture, or shoot a short video. Take care not to embarrass the offenders! Key point: include suggestions on how to do it right!
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022