Common mistakes can kill your small business, but most of them can be easily corrected or avoided.
Today’s bad example: inconsistent business hours.
A local restaurant is open, I think, Saturday at 5 pm, Sunday at 11 am for lunch only, and Monday sometime. In fact, they are only newly re-opened from a previous failure. They had screwy hours then, too. Each week, they’d run an ad with the new business hours.
Another local retail store has posted hours, a bit inconsistent, but at least they are posted. The problem is that they don’t consistently follow their posting. They are frequently not open at a posted time.
How are customers supposed to adapt to this? In fact, they don’t. Customers just go elsewhere.
How do you correct the mistake of inconsistent hours? Here are some tips for setting your business hours:
- Think about when your target customers want you to be open. Ask them.
- Set an incredibly easy to understand schedule.
- Publicize your business hours in all the media you use.
- Be open when you say you will. Open on time, and don’t close early.
I know, emergencies will occur, but do your best!
Together, we are going to try to help each other out of these most common, deadly mistakes. You can use real world examples, real small businesses. Write it up, take a picture, or shoot a short video. Take care not to embarrass the offenders! Key point: include suggestions on how to do it right!
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020