Buying local is a growing trend and a significant opportunity for small town small businesses.
Food-borne illnesses have made headlines from huge commercial production and from imported foods. Local food producers of all kinds should capitalize on this opportunity. Jack Schultz, Boomtown USA, gave local food two spots on his Agurban top ten trends for 2007. And he continues to talk about this opportunity for local foods.
Other local products
Lead tainted paint, safety problems, and environmental issues have created another local opportunity for all types of products. Chris Penn, Financial Aid Podcast, has been meditating on local products, and he’s not alone. Steven E. Streight, Vaspers, has been ranting against China imports and in favor of local sourcing. They are just two people, but they are from completely different parts of the country. They represent a way of thinking that exists right now in your market.
Evaluate your marketing. Are you promoting the heck out of your “localness”? It’s time to start.
Be more local. Don’t hide your local flavor, your accent, all the things that make you, your company and your product feel local. Flaunt it!
Promote the environmental benefit. Buying local products reduces the transportation costs to the environment.
Promote your local advantages: high quality local workforce, safety procedures, and strict standards. For once, be glad of the regulations you must comply with.
Part of surviving in a small town small business is competing with the world. This is one trend that gives you an advantage. Use it!
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020