Buying local is a growing trend and a significant opportunity for small town small businesses.
Food-borne illnesses have made headlines from huge commercial production and from imported foods. Local food producers of all kinds should capitalize on this opportunity. Jack Schultz, Boomtown USA, gave local food two spots on his Agurban top ten trends for 2007. And he continues to talk about this opportunity for local foods.
Other local products
Lead tainted paint, safety problems, and environmental issues have created another local opportunity for all types of products. Chris Penn, Financial Aid Podcast, has been meditating on local products, and he’s not alone. Steven E. Streight, Vaspers, has been ranting against China imports and in favor of local sourcing. They are just two people, but they are from completely different parts of the country. They represent a way of thinking that exists right now in your market.
Evaluate your marketing. Are you promoting the heck out of your “localness”? It’s time to start.
Be more local. Don’t hide your local flavor, your accent, all the things that make you, your company and your product feel local. Flaunt it!
Promote the environmental benefit. Buying local products reduces the transportation costs to the environment.
Promote your local advantages: high quality local workforce, safety procedures, and strict standards. For once, be glad of the regulations you must comply with.
Part of surviving in a small town small business is competing with the world. This is one trend that gives you an advantage. Use it!
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022