In the middle of an article on a different subject, Zane Safrit spills his successful formula for improving your small business cash flow.
The goal was to add x percent to our already positive cash flows. The deadline immediate…and we’d look at the results compiled over the next 12 months to judge whether a bonus had been earned based on the results. The tactic, the steps, were for each of us to look in our areas of influence and decide what expenses, big or mostly small, we could cut without a negative impact on our service to our customers. Everything was on the table from travel costs, to journal subscriptions, incentives for customers and prospects, office supplies, paper clips, everything. We created a wiki and shared all of our itemized, recurring, expenses except payroll and commissions and everyone’s suggestions for costs/activities to cut.
In the first 30 days we’re halfway to our goal with the whole process being one of discovery, education, near celebration, as we find a series of itty-bitty steps that taken together…create a great big savings for the company. It served the added purpose of creating greater engagement, deeper engagement and a real sense of sharing in the results, owning the results, from creating partnerships within the company.
Apply these lessons in any size small business. The tools are available free right now to get started. Anyone can create a wiki, user-created and edited online document(s). Look at this example from PodCamp, using the tools at PBWiki.
No employees or team to work with? Share the costs and ideas with a few of your trusted advisers. Take it to your small business counselor at the Small Business Development Center. Brainstorm with other solo entrepreneurs.
The key is a willingness to be open with expense information and to work together in a positive, celebratory manner.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021