Lots of small town small businesses rely on good signs. Tourist-focused business, for example, depend on clear and effective signs. But look around your small town and you’ll see lots of really bad signs!
That brings up lots of questions for us. How do you design a good sign? How big should the typeface be? What color combinations are most readable?
The New York State Small Business Development Center worked with the International Sign Association (ISA) to create a free online resource on signs. It’s called What’s Your Signage?
Besides answering those questions about design, the site also shows examples of common small business signs and labels them with the industry names. That way you know whether you want to talk about channel letters or a pylon.
Darrin Conroy, with the SBDC, said:
If you owned a business, would you want something that:
- worked day and night as an instrumental marketing tool, including weekends and holidays, for less than $20 a day?
- can help boost your sales in the first year by 10% to 100%?
- could attract new customers, brand your business identity, and create impulse shoppers in your community?
Of course you would. That’s what the right sign can do for your clients.
For additional information on “What’s Your Signage?” (the book or the website) contact Darrin Conroy.
And thanks to Jeanne (OkieJ) for contributing this item. She can’t type much right now, so I posted this for her.
[Photo by Becky: The sign for Sage and Saddle Bed and Breakfast, Freedom, Oklahoma.]
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020