Lots of small town small businesses rely on good signs. Tourist-focused business, for example, depend on clear and effective signs. But look around your small town and you’ll see lots of really bad signs!
That brings up lots of questions for us. How do you design a good sign? How big should the typeface be? What color combinations are most readable?
The New York State Small Business Development Center worked with the International Sign Association (ISA) to create a free online resource on signs. It’s called What’s Your Signage?
Besides answering those questions about design, the site also shows examples of common small business signs and labels them with the industry names. That way you know whether you want to talk about channel letters or a pylon.
Darrin Conroy, with the SBDC, said:
If you owned a business, would you want something that:
- worked day and night as an instrumental marketing tool, including weekends and holidays, for less than $20 a day?
- can help boost your sales in the first year by 10% to 100%?
- could attract new customers, brand your business identity, and create impulse shoppers in your community?
Of course you would. That’s what the right sign can do for your clients.
For additional information on “What’s Your Signage?” (the book or the website) contact Darrin Conroy.
And thanks to Jeanne (OkieJ) for contributing this item. She can’t type much right now, so I posted this for her.
[Photo by Becky: The sign for Sage and Saddle Bed and Breakfast, Freedom, Oklahoma.]
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020