This shocking headline is from The New Zealand Herald, where high commodity prices are benefiting the diversified rural economy. Read more about the Kiwi economy at BoomtownUSA. Our Friend Jack Schultz has been touring the countryside there, sending back reports.
[Photo from Jack Schultz of Gordon Riach at a New Zealand wool buying station.]
Trend: Small businesses become Micro-Multinationals
Our Friend Anita Campbell points out the trend of small businesses that have significant global approach.
I’ve observed this trend blossoming in the past few years, particularly among technology and Internet businesses. This idea of the world transforming into one global village is happening before our eyes. The numbers of companies that can be characterized as micro-multinationals is still small, but they are out there.
Read more on Anita’s Small Business Trends site.
Is your state ready for the New Economy? Check the rankings
From The 2007 State New Economy Index, from The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF).
The changing economic landscape requires state economies to be innovative, globally-linked, entrepreneurial and dynamic, with an educated workforce and all sectors embracing the use of information technology.
Rural states like Vermont (news article) and Oklahoma (my home state) seem to rank well for entrepreneurship, but poorly for high-growth firms.
Kenya promoting tech for rural economy
They are doing this by promoting two programs at once. First, deploying technology centers throughout rural areas. Second, releasing funds to help youths found their own businesses. Read about it in The Standard.
Pakistan focusing on rural economy, agriculture
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has said that rural economy is the country’s lifeline and agriculture sector is pivotal to the growth of the economy.
Looks like a global opportunity for cooperation and for commerce in basic ag technologies. From ONLINE International News Network.
Mobile phones as a tool for rural development globally
Rural entrepreneurs can check livestock or supply prices, people can communicate with family, and now rural people can access banking services and transfer money between cell phones. Read more in the BBC News.
New opportunities exist in making more services available via cell phones. One of our favorite tools, Will It Fly?, has just launched a WAP interface for their business learning database.
And we just told you about marketing on mobile phones with Mobivity.
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021