The high profile Freakonomics Blog noticed a tiny slice of rural business, when they profiled the Farmers Only online dating site. Farmers Only got noticed because it fit into one of their trends: niche online dating sites.
Which brings us to the business idea: target your product or service to the rural and small town market. It’s a smaller market, but radically underserved. Make small towns your target market, and rural problems your specialty. Just off the top of my head online banking, business coaching, accounting, and business signs could all be targeted specifically to rural and small town markets.
Thanks to reader Evelyn Mitchell for the tip on the Freakonomics article!
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021