More rural entrepreneurship news to report.
Cell phones essential to rural businesses globally
I will vouch for this story. In my trips to Africa, I’ve seen how cell phones are vital to rural business people. Broaden your world perspective with this story at MyFox.
[Rural cell phone user conducting business in Namibia, Africa, by Francois Haasbrock.]
How is the rural economy?
I loved this quote from Stephen Ward, in the New Zealand Herald:
Getting an accurate reading of the health of the rural economy can be tricky. Just like when you visit a doctor to discuss an ailment, the diagnosis that emerges can depend a bit on who you talk to and when, and what sort of questions you ask.
Ain’t that the truth!
Two views of the same economic development event.
Two local newspapers from Mississippi (USA) covered the same conference. The story from Laurel talks about entrepreneurship, regionalism and innovation in economic development.
“Investors don’t invest in technology. They invest in innovation,” Goldsmith said. “But technology drives innovation.”
Coverage from Hattiesburg is focused mostly on the regional partnerships.
“Laurel is not the competition – China is the competition,” Mark Drabenstatt, Center for Regional Competitiveness Director at the Columbia, Mo.-based Rural Policy Research Institute, told an audience of hundreds of business, education and civic leaders at the Jones County Junior College Economic and Technology Symposium.
Facts show that entrepreneurial business adds the most high-paying jobs – and rural areas have a lot of catching up to do, Drabenstatt said.
But here is the prize winning quote of the day, in the Hattiesburg story:
“Educate locally and partner regionally so we can compete globally.” —JCJC President Jesse Smith
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022