Another small town small business idea:
Buy damaged items from online auction sites, repair them, and then resell them.
I got this idea from a student in one of my eBay classes. She would search eBay for broken china dolls. Her search keywords included “needs help” and “poor thing”. These broken dolls came at a steep discount. She would then repair them. I don’t think she was intending to make a profit, but you might!
If you consider this idea, here are a few suggestions:
- Specialize! Focus only on items you can repair well, and that have a strong resale market.
- Track your time, and carefully evaluate your profit potential.
- Be absolutely honest about repairs when you resell.
Do you have business ideas to share? We’d love to hear it.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020