Kansas has been making a huge deal of supporting entrepreneuriship as a major part of economic development. If you are looking for rural economic development ideas, look into Kansas’ new projects.
StartUp Kansas, the financial arm of Network Kansas, has made its first financial award.
Dan Thalmann, who has been at the Washington County News for the last six years and managing editor for the last four, was awarded a loan of $37,500 to help him buy the 137-year-old newspaper.
Four Rivers Development Inc. of Beloit is the NetWork Kansas resource partner administering the loan, along with the matching loan that will help support the ongoing operations and growth of the newspaper.
NetWork Kansas was created as a component of the Kansas Economic Growth Act of 2004 to encourage entrepreneurship and small business development in Kansas, especially in rural Kansas.
Washington County News serves a county audience and has a weekly circulation of about 2,850. Thalmann hopes to be instrumental in seeing that grow.
Wichita (Kansas) Eagle
Posted on Tue, Nov. 14, 2006
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020