Kansas has been making a huge deal of supporting entrepreneuriship as a major part of economic development. If you are looking for rural economic development ideas, look into Kansas’ new projects.
StartUp Kansas, the financial arm of Network Kansas, has made its first financial award.
Dan Thalmann, who has been at the Washington County News for the last six years and managing editor for the last four, was awarded a loan of $37,500 to help him buy the 137-year-old newspaper.
Four Rivers Development Inc. of Beloit is the NetWork Kansas resource partner administering the loan, along with the matching loan that will help support the ongoing operations and growth of the newspaper.
NetWork Kansas was created as a component of the Kansas Economic Growth Act of 2004 to encourage entrepreneurship and small business development in Kansas, especially in rural Kansas.
Washington County News serves a county audience and has a weekly circulation of about 2,850. Thalmann hopes to be instrumental in seeing that grow.
Wichita (Kansas) Eagle
Posted on Tue, Nov. 14, 2006
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022