Michael Gurau is president of CEI Community Ventures Fund , an early-stage venture capital fund that finances growth-oriented businesses in targeted communities in New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. He writes in the New Hampshire Business Review, and his column on Friday was about building your business in a rural community. Here are some excerpts:
Let’s assume you’ve made a lifestyle choice to build a business and create your living in a rural market, such as northern New England. Doubtless, you’ve done so for the high quality of life, lower cost of living and positive environment for building a company and raising a family. As these elements were catalysts for you, so too may they be for those you may wish to attract to your business.
You may, however, find that living in a rural environment presents as many challenges as opportunities. For starters, you may find it difficult to find employees in your local markets that have requisite experience and skills to add value to your business.
Next, you need to consider availability of external capital to support you in your growth plans.
Finally, you might face fewer service resources in rural markets than your competitors might find in urban markets.
Gurau explains much more in the original article. He’s definitely a name we will watch for more often in rural small business discussions.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020