Rural entrepreneurs face a lack of good, unbiased, reliable advice. A new online resource, called Will It Fly?, is designed to give that kind of advice.
Think of it as an online mentor, a trusted business advisor who asks all those tough questions that make you really think. But this is also an advisor who will help you with the answers you don’t know!
I went through the module on a press release, something I know quite a bit about and felt I could evaluate. I clicked on Marketing, then Press Release was listed under Public Relations. Great! Then it starts asking questions. For example,
- Have you provided pertinent information to craft an interesting story rather than focusing on your “commitment to quality”?
- Have you tailored your press release such that it fits in with that media outlet’s specific style and outlook?
- Are you sure your subject header will get noticed within a crowded inbox?
- Are you prepared to field reporter questions?
Those are excellent questions for evaluating a press release! Then, rather than overwhelm you with everything about press releases, the system returns only the modules or articles you need and no more. It customizes each lesson based on what you need to know now, not everything under the sun.
Plus, they get bonus points for a “bland” design. No flashing logos, no pretty high tech graphics. The whole site is focused on helping you get and understand the information you need.
I strongly recommend this system!
I read about Will It Fly? in the Rural Entrepreneurship News – the electronic newsletter of the RUPRI Center for Rural Entrepreneurship.
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020