Rural entrepreneurs face a lack of good, unbiased, reliable advice. A new online resource, called Will It Fly?, is designed to give that kind of advice.
Think of it as an online mentor, a trusted business advisor who asks all those tough questions that make you really think. But this is also an advisor who will help you with the answers you don’t know!
I went through the module on a press release, something I know quite a bit about and felt I could evaluate. I clicked on Marketing, then Press Release was listed under Public Relations. Great! Then it starts asking questions. For example,
- Have you provided pertinent information to craft an interesting story rather than focusing on your “commitment to quality”?
- Have you tailored your press release such that it fits in with that media outlet’s specific style and outlook?
- Are you sure your subject header will get noticed within a crowded inbox?
- Are you prepared to field reporter questions?
Those are excellent questions for evaluating a press release! Then, rather than overwhelm you with everything about press releases, the system returns only the modules or articles you need and no more. It customizes each lesson based on what you need to know now, not everything under the sun.
Plus, they get bonus points for a “bland” design. No flashing logos, no pretty high tech graphics. The whole site is focused on helping you get and understand the information you need.
I strongly recommend this system!
I read about Will It Fly? in the Rural Entrepreneurship News – the electronic newsletter of the RUPRI Center for Rural Entrepreneurship.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022