A new business is exhilirating, but can also be frightening. So many wonderful possibilities, and yet so many potential stumbling blocks! Plus, being in a small town or rural area seems to magnify everything. If you could know about some of the common stumbling blocks before you hit them, you could either take action to avoid them or know what it takes to climb over.
Some of the articles from Small Biz Survival that may be helpful in overcoming startup stumbling blocks are:
- Simplified business plans for the real world
- Simplified marketing plans for the real world
- Raising money from family and friends
- Four ingredient formula for building a successful business
- Eight tips to maintain your sanity during a startup
- Resource: Notes from Startup School
- POV: Addicted to startups
- Resource: Startup Nation
- Stupid mistakes and lessons learned
- Ten mistakes not to make when starting a business
- DDMP: the entrepreneurship secret
Dave Cheong has compiled a terrific resource on the challenges that can trip up new businesses. Through his research, he compiled his own list of the top 14 stumbling blocks.
And Brian Tracy has another article on The Basics of Business Success. He gives seven keys for success, as well as a list of reasons for failure.
Intuit has launched another new business resource, called Jack Rabbit, brought to my attention by Anita Campbell. It includes some Web2.0 functions, like the ability to link to your favorite resources or bookmarks, and to customize it in other ways. Campbell points out that this is the new level of resource sites: not just providing info, but allowing interaction and customization.
If you are in the startup phase, or just getting ready to start up, invest some of your valuable time in these resources. It will pay off in the stumbling blocks that you can avoid!
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022