A new business is exhilirating, but can also be frightening. So many wonderful possibilities, and yet so many potential stumbling blocks! Plus, being in a small town or rural area seems to magnify everything. If you could know about some of the common stumbling blocks before you hit them, you could either take action to avoid them or know what it takes to climb over.
Some of the articles from Small Biz Survival that may be helpful in overcoming startup stumbling blocks are:
- Simplified business plans for the real world
- Simplified marketing plans for the real world
- Raising money from family and friends
- Four ingredient formula for building a successful business
- Eight tips to maintain your sanity during a startup
- Resource: Notes from Startup School
- POV: Addicted to startups
- Resource: Startup Nation
- Stupid mistakes and lessons learned
- Ten mistakes not to make when starting a business
- DDMP: the entrepreneurship secret
Dave Cheong has compiled a terrific resource on the challenges that can trip up new businesses. Through his research, he compiled his own list of the top 14 stumbling blocks.
And Brian Tracy has another article on The Basics of Business Success. He gives seven keys for success, as well as a list of reasons for failure.
Intuit has launched another new business resource, called Jack Rabbit, brought to my attention by Anita Campbell. It includes some Web2.0 functions, like the ability to link to your favorite resources or bookmarks, and to customize it in other ways. Campbell points out that this is the new level of resource sites: not just providing info, but allowing interaction and customization.
If you are in the startup phase, or just getting ready to start up, invest some of your valuable time in these resources. It will pay off in the stumbling blocks that you can avoid!
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021