Your community’s best economic developers are not on the payroll at your development authority or the local government. Lots of times, they are the successful entrepreneurs. Pat Matthews, author of Small Town, Big Ideas blog, is a perfect example.
As many of you know, I think that Blacksburg has a lot of potential as a startup hub. We’ve got a lot of the characteristics Paul talks about—a major university, lots of smart people, and lots of rich people. But we’re still lacking a lot too. One of my longer term goals is to help cultivate the startup culture in Blacksburg. My first goal is to build an awesome company here at Webmail. Blacksburg needs as many success stories as we can get to shine a light on the great things going on in our region. And ultimately, I want to help fund and support other startups in our region. I’ve got the gumption and the experience—all I need now is the money!
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021