Mark Taylor, another small town Oklahoman, put together his experience in business, education and workforce development, and came up with this article on changing your thinking.
Albert Einstein once said, “The significant challenges that we face today can not be solved at the same level of thinking at which they were created”.
The world of small business is a world of constant change and thus of needed constant evolution. An acquaintance of mine, from a former period in life, Maurice Maskereenis (phonetically spelled) used to claim to be the consultant that spoke to more small business’s every year than any other consultant. He did about 100 days a year with audiences that probably averaged in the 30’s. He said that the most common failure of small business was to keep working in the business at a time when they should have been working on the business. They miss an evolutionary step.
Years of planning on what it takes to start a small business must not be the same thinking that is required to grow it.
Peter Drucker, the father of modern management said he asked businesses the same three questions every time he consulted. What do you do, how do you do it and why do you do it the way you do.
They say that 95% of the franchise operations that start every year are still there 4 years later. Franchisers must be provided with assistance in working on the business.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020