Mark Taylor, another small town Oklahoman, put together his experience in business, education and workforce development, and came up with this article on changing your thinking.
Albert Einstein once said, “The significant challenges that we face today can not be solved at the same level of thinking at which they were created”.
The world of small business is a world of constant change and thus of needed constant evolution. An acquaintance of mine, from a former period in life, Maurice Maskereenis (phonetically spelled) used to claim to be the consultant that spoke to more small business’s every year than any other consultant. He did about 100 days a year with audiences that probably averaged in the 30’s. He said that the most common failure of small business was to keep working in the business at a time when they should have been working on the business. They miss an evolutionary step.
Years of planning on what it takes to start a small business must not be the same thinking that is required to grow it.
Peter Drucker, the father of modern management said he asked businesses the same three questions every time he consulted. What do you do, how do you do it and why do you do it the way you do.
They say that 95% of the franchise operations that start every year are still there 4 years later. Franchisers must be provided with assistance in working on the business.
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021