Sometimes, change or progress can catch your business in the crossfire.
If your business is providing web-based email solutions, what do you think about a major article that says email is bad as a tool for collaboration, and needs to be replaced? The blog Small Town, Big Ideas comes from a company that produces webmail, called Webmail.us. Pat Matthews, the CEO, is musing over this in a post called Email is Still Good. The whole article is worth reading, just to hear him think out loud about how to handle changes in technology that affect your business.
An example of a tough question that many technology startups face is: “at what point do we build something new and better and risk the learning curve and resistance to change that’s involved, versus building something and making it work like a Microsoft product since most of the world knows how to use a Microsoft product?”
It’s a tough question and one that most technology startups have to deal with. I don’t know the right answer but at Webmail, we do a little bit of both. We take risks where we think the potential payoff is big but we leverage the fact that “everyone” knows how to use email (and Microsoft Outlook in particular) as we build new features into our service. And that is something we will continue to do.
Matthews has the kind of attitude that will help keep his business healthy through change. No technology stands still. Matthews and Webmail.us are moving ahead. Make sure your business does the same.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020