Sometimes, change or progress can catch your business in the crossfire.
If your business is providing web-based email solutions, what do you think about a major article that says email is bad as a tool for collaboration, and needs to be replaced? The blog Small Town, Big Ideas comes from a company that produces webmail, called Webmail.us. Pat Matthews, the CEO, is musing over this in a post called Email is Still Good. The whole article is worth reading, just to hear him think out loud about how to handle changes in technology that affect your business.
An example of a tough question that many technology startups face is: “at what point do we build something new and better and risk the learning curve and resistance to change that’s involved, versus building something and making it work like a Microsoft product since most of the world knows how to use a Microsoft product?”
It’s a tough question and one that most technology startups have to deal with. I don’t know the right answer but at Webmail, we do a little bit of both. We take risks where we think the potential payoff is big but we leverage the fact that “everyone” knows how to use email (and Microsoft Outlook in particular) as we build new features into our service. And that is something we will continue to do.
Matthews has the kind of attitude that will help keep his business healthy through change. No technology stands still. Matthews and Webmail.us are moving ahead. Make sure your business does the same.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021