Sometimes, change or progress can catch your business in the crossfire.
If your business is providing web-based email solutions, what do you think about a major article that says email is bad as a tool for collaboration, and needs to be replaced? The blog Small Town, Big Ideas comes from a company that produces webmail, called Webmail.us. Pat Matthews, the CEO, is musing over this in a post called Email is Still Good. The whole article is worth reading, just to hear him think out loud about how to handle changes in technology that affect your business.
An example of a tough question that many technology startups face is: “at what point do we build something new and better and risk the learning curve and resistance to change that’s involved, versus building something and making it work like a Microsoft product since most of the world knows how to use a Microsoft product?”
It’s a tough question and one that most technology startups have to deal with. I don’t know the right answer but at Webmail, we do a little bit of both. We take risks where we think the potential payoff is big but we leverage the fact that “everyone” knows how to use email (and Microsoft Outlook in particular) as we build new features into our service. And that is something we will continue to do.
Matthews has the kind of attitude that will help keep his business healthy through change. No technology stands still. Matthews and Webmail.us are moving ahead. Make sure your business does the same.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022