How do you decide to expand your business? How can you tell if the fit is right, and if this expansion really makes sense?
I talked with a potential entrepreneur yesterday. He is having trouble settling his business idea down to just one thing. With so many market opportunities available, he found his new business was swelling out of his reach. Deciding what to include and what to leave out can be tough!
At Decisive Flow (a New Zealand web design firm), they have just expanded, adding Small Business Marketing Tailored to Your Needs.
A lot of our customers don’t have marketing strategies. This has caused a few issues with web design as we struggle to see how we can deliver sites that generate new business when the base we are working on is non existant. So Decisive Flow have expanded our services.
Adding marketing services made sense in their case, because their current customers, small businesses, had a need for it, and no source. They also had the expertise already; no need to bring in additional experts or retrain themselves.
I think these are the best business expansions to consider:
- Customer driven
- Market niche tailored
- Take advantage of your existing skills in a new way
Rather than let yourself be pulled in a thousand different directions, make sure you pick products and services that group together naturally. Marketing and web design are closely related, a good match. The potential business owner I talked to yesterday was thinking about a whole raft of possible services. They were all related in one sense, but with radically different targets, and many different providers. The longer we talked, the more he talked himself into a narrower field, one of closely related targets.
Weigh each expansion carefully. It’s like a whole new business to launch. Be sure you give it the care it deserves.
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022