How’s business? If it has stalled out, or if you just aren’t satisfied, you may be ready to reexamine your passion.
The first step is to sit down and determine your “best and highest use” or BHU. Your particular BHU stems from your unique talents and passions, the things that set your business apart and translate into the distinctive solutions you can offer your customers. Determining your BHU will connect you to the passions and purpose that led you to start your business in the first place.
Best and Highest Use manifests your preferences and talents in ways that fill needs in the marketplace:
- Your best represents your preferred choice among all the things you do well;
- Highest represents that which is most valued by customers, suppliers, employers, or partners; and
- Use is the actual, essential value you provide to others.
Unless you have all three elements, you and your company will eventually experience boredom, dissatisfaction, mediocrity, chaos, or feeble sales and frail profits. Best and Highest Use begins in passion (the owner’s), is refined through need (the customer’s), and ends in satisfaction all around. When the marketplace says, “Yes, that is what you should be doing to give me what I need!” you have found your BHU.
Author Andy Birol walks you through a six step process to refine your focus:
- Document your successes.
- Consider the importance of fun.
- Discover what clients, customers and staff like about you.
- Distill and simplify.
- Know your blind spots.
- Synthesize, apply and focus.
It’s a good article, and Birol has an excellent point. Your passion is only one part of success. You must connect that passion to a need and a use. This is just a critical for a small town small biz as it is for the next billion dollar biz.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020