How’s business? If it has stalled out, or if you just aren’t satisfied, you may be ready to reexamine your passion.
The first step is to sit down and determine your “best and highest use” or BHU. Your particular BHU stems from your unique talents and passions, the things that set your business apart and translate into the distinctive solutions you can offer your customers. Determining your BHU will connect you to the passions and purpose that led you to start your business in the first place.
Best and Highest Use manifests your preferences and talents in ways that fill needs in the marketplace:
- Your best represents your preferred choice among all the things you do well;
- Highest represents that which is most valued by customers, suppliers, employers, or partners; and
- Use is the actual, essential value you provide to others.
Unless you have all three elements, you and your company will eventually experience boredom, dissatisfaction, mediocrity, chaos, or feeble sales and frail profits. Best and Highest Use begins in passion (the owner’s), is refined through need (the customer’s), and ends in satisfaction all around. When the marketplace says, “Yes, that is what you should be doing to give me what I need!” you have found your BHU.
Author Andy Birol walks you through a six step process to refine your focus:
- Document your successes.
- Consider the importance of fun.
- Discover what clients, customers and staff like about you.
- Distill and simplify.
- Know your blind spots.
- Synthesize, apply and focus.
It’s a good article, and Birol has an excellent point. Your passion is only one part of success. You must connect that passion to a need and a use. This is just a critical for a small town small biz as it is for the next billion dollar biz.
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021