Want to build a billion dollar company from your small town? David Thomson wrote the book on it, Blueprint to a Billion, profiled on Fortune Small Business. (Brought to our attention by Be Excellent.)
Here are the seven principles Thompson postulates:
1. Create and sustain a breakthrough value proposition. Create an entirely new market for their products and services, redefine an existing market or simply suck all the oxygen out of a market by underpricing the competition.
2. Exploit a high-growth market. It’s kind of tough to hit a billion in sales if the total demand for your product doesn’t exceed a billion dollars.
3. Focus relentlessly on cash flow. As a result they are able to finance their own growth at less cost than competitors who take on debt or give up equity to investors.
4. Leverage big-brother alliances.
5. Pack your board with industry experts.
6. Use marquee customers to build credibility.
7. Build an inside-outside leadership team. In most such partnerships, one leader concentrates on internal operations while the other leader represents the company for clients and investors.
Thompson did three years of research and quantified his data. If you are looking to grow into a super big company, give it a read.
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022