By Ed Morrison, EDPro
One of the paradoxes of globalization is that our rural economies have multiple new opportunities to build wealth.
The expanding role of entrepreneurship in rural economic development, combined with the emergence of smaller towns, open up new horizons for rural economies. (On the emergence of smaller towns, see Jack Schultz’ book, Boom Town USA.)
In addition, new biotechnologies create opportunities in agribusiness development. Here’s an example, in Amarillo last week, civic leaders held a conference on BioEconomics. Read more. This approach to development has been discussed in international development circles. Read more.
Oklahoma just held an aerospace conference. Any other examples of new technology creating new opportunities in rural areas?
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021