Most of us have experienced the sudden “aha!” of an intuitive answer. Very, very few have any idea how to look for an intuitive answer, or how to actually use our intuition. The intuition seems too erratic and unpredictable to be considered a tool. However, the technique discussed here offers a way to tap into that elusive ability.
Easter Egg Hunt
This technique was developed by Barb Weismann, and shared in an old email mailing list.
The Easter Egg technique is like a warm up or a practice for more advanced techniques. It is a way to build those intuitive abilities.
This is a simple technique to generate many new ideas. First select the problem or situation. Then, find a notepad you can carry with you, and number your paper from 1 to 10. Now, take a short walk to find “Easter eggs.” Easter eggs are items that jump out at you, things you notice. As you notice them, write them down.
Stop immediately and try to associate them to the situation. Focus on the object and see what it is telling you about your situation. Write down the association, then continue on for the next “egg.”
This technique is limited by your personal knowledge; it can only reveal things you already know. But it is very good at generating connections that lead to new ideas. Also it makes good practice in using your intuition. The result is another decision making tool you can add to your repertoire, improving your business abilities.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020