Want to delegate more work to your computer? Here are two thoughts for today.
First, templates are a great way to delegate work to someone else. I guess you could call it pre-delegation, because someone already did the work before you even asked.
- PigPog has a whole post of useful templates this week.
- Don’t forget Excel spreadsheets from CPA Matt Evans.
- We just talked about David Seah’s Printable CEO series.
- SCORE has a Business Toolbox, complete with Template Gallery, featuring business plans, financials, even a non-disclosure agreement.
If it’s something you can do on the computer, someone has created a template!
Second, Chris Brogan, one of our favorite bloggers to start conversations with, has a loooong piece on The Bionic You.
Considering the value chain means understanding if what you do is VITAL to the product/service you offer, or if what you do is something easily replicated in a cheaper location? What extra something are you giving to the process? Are you a set of hands like a shovel or are you the mind that can jump into the bulldozer and get even more done with this new technology?
Chris goes through breaking your work down to the component parts, and finding where you add value. The goal? Get comfortable with technology and make it work for you.
You’ve gotta be brutal about it. Look at every single piece of this pie. What can be done by a robot? What are you doing manually that just betrays your lack of technical knowledge? (I had a personal experience with this last night: I learned how vector drawings would’ve been SO much easier for some things I was painting pixels to accomplish).
So delegate more to your computer. You’ll be getting more things done that matter.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020