This is great! It’s exciting to see the conversation carry on. I’m interested in the number six part of the discussion. I can’t disagree, but am wondering why that number works.
I happened to read Chris’ original post and one over on BlogHer on the same day. They seemed to fit together to me. Nancy White quotes Marnie Webb in a post called “Size DOES Matter: The Magic Number is Six“:
We don’t make communities for 1M, 100K, 10K or even 1K. The communities we make are for 6 people. Make that—share it, write it, meet with it—and let each of those spawn more communities of 6. Keep it small enough to really care about and relate to.
That’s one of the things that Mena Trott said the acquisition of LiveJournal taught her. The average number of people in a community is six. And that is a comfortable number. And one we can imagine.
As humans, we can relate to smaller groups of people, stories of a size that we can internalize. As we seek to create change in our families, towns, non profits, states, countries, the world, think about who the first six you want to reach.
Rural and Small Town folks often lament that we have STP, the Same Ten People or even Same Two or Three, doing everything. That is not necessarily a disadvantage. Another thought drummed into us is, if you can’t do something big, it doesn’t count. That’s wrong, too.
The secret is that there is more magic in the smaller group. Six is a magic number; you plus five makes a very effective group. So be proud of your Small Town’s small activist group. Gather up no more than five friends and change the world! That’s what we are doing here.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020