How you gonna keep em down on the farm …
By Timlynn Babitsky
“What can we do to keep our kids here?” IS the wrong question. “What can we do to get them to come back home?” is the real question to ask, and providing jobs and economic opportunities is only one part of the answer.
People will leave and come back to a place that draws them back strongly, that tugs at their hearts often and that deepens and nourishes their roots and sense of belonging. Just growing up in a place doesn’t guarantee that it will be such a magnet.
The key question we need to ask ourselves in rural areas, is NOT how can we keep the kids here but rather — how can we inspire in them that deep sense of connection and awe of place that will bring them back to the HomeTown they love — armed with new and creative solutions to old problems that they have come to understand better “out in the world.”
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022