How do you envision the future for skilled workers? Especially those of us outside the metro areas.
Chris Brogan’s post Not Free Agents. Guild Members! is the starting point for a novel vision. Take your skills anywhere in the world and know that you will have access to the larger market because you are a guild member. Now that is a vision!
My suggestion for the crazy first steps?
- Join your trade association. Get involved. Help push the organization to a real online presence.
- Join your trade’s online forums. Get involved. Don’t have any? Start one!
- Find and make friends with other people with your skills, across the country or around the world. Share info constantly.
How many people do you want in your guild? Start with six. Let that community of six spawn more sixes. Why six? It is the magic number for community building at a scale where you can still care. Or at least that’s what I read online.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021