How do you envision the future for skilled workers? Especially those of us outside the metro areas.
Chris Brogan’s post Not Free Agents. Guild Members! is the starting point for a novel vision. Take your skills anywhere in the world and know that you will have access to the larger market because you are a guild member. Now that is a vision!
My suggestion for the crazy first steps?
- Join your trade association. Get involved. Help push the organization to a real online presence.
- Join your trade’s online forums. Get involved. Don’t have any? Start one!
- Find and make friends with other people with your skills, across the country or around the world. Share info constantly.
How many people do you want in your guild? Start with six. Let that community of six spawn more sixes. Why six? It is the magic number for community building at a scale where you can still care. Or at least that’s what I read online.
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020