By Stephen Windhaus
Through two decades of small business development in the public and private sector, I have learned that the legal structure of small business ventures revolves around the entrepreneur’s desire to protect his/her assets, while having the flexibility to direct revenue to one’s personal income with the least amount of expense, and avoiding a lot of paperwork. Until a few years ago, the “either – or” debate revolved around proprietorship vs. an S corporation. The introduction of the simple Limited Liability Company (LLC) changed that debate to either an LLC or S corporation. Again, the emphasis remains on liability, ease of accessing revenue for income and avoiding paperwork.
For the purpose of this column, please note that we are addressing the condition of self-employment with no employees, and for good reason. According to a Small Business Administration (SBA) report issued in December 2004, there has been phenomenal growth of self-employment. In the year 2000 there were 11.5 million non-agricultural ventures in the U.S. That grew to 12.2 million in 2003 of which 2.9 million businesses were unincorporated.”
LLC (Limited Liability Company) or S Corp: Which is Better or the Self-Employed? from The Corporate Bee, Feb. 2006. Quoted at the Small Business CEO blog.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022