By Stephen Windhaus
Through two decades of small business development in the public and private sector, I have learned that the legal structure of small business ventures revolves around the entrepreneur’s desire to protect his/her assets, while having the flexibility to direct revenue to one’s personal income with the least amount of expense, and avoiding a lot of paperwork. Until a few years ago, the “either – or” debate revolved around proprietorship vs. an S corporation. The introduction of the simple Limited Liability Company (LLC) changed that debate to either an LLC or S corporation. Again, the emphasis remains on liability, ease of accessing revenue for income and avoiding paperwork.
For the purpose of this column, please note that we are addressing the condition of self-employment with no employees, and for good reason. According to a Small Business Administration (SBA) report issued in December 2004, there has been phenomenal growth of self-employment. In the year 2000 there were 11.5 million non-agricultural ventures in the U.S. That grew to 12.2 million in 2003 of which 2.9 million businesses were unincorporated.”
LLC (Limited Liability Company) or S Corp: Which is Better or the Self-Employed? from The Corporate Bee, Feb. 2006. Quoted at the Small Business CEO blog.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020